Bananas are one of my favorite fruits. It was one of a handful I would actually eat growing up. I also have a ton of frozen bananas in the freezer I need to start using and these recipes from my Lifehack post “12 Banana Recipes to Make You Healthier and Happier.” I added a couple of recipes to the original list AND included a full recipe here. I hope you enjoy! (and don’t judge because I just did a recipe round-up post…I’m hangin’ on by a thread over here with this house hunting stuff.)
You can use bananas as a substitute in recipes for the fat, adding in tons of potassium to your meal, not to mention folate, magnesium, fiber and vitamin C. Bananas are also naturally fat, sodium and cholesterol free for those of you with any special diets.
So grab your ripe bananas and get ready to whip up some deliciously healthy banana recipes.
1. Bourbon Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins via Enticingly Healthy Eating
I have never tried adding any kind of alcohol to my baked goods (as far as I remember?) so I definitely need to try this. You actually add all of the ingredients to a blender. So easy! I would whip up a batch of these for breakfast throughout the week.
2. Cinnamon Banana Bread Protein Shake via Fit Mitten Kitchen
Who wouldn’t want their protein shake to taste like cinnamon banana bread? Did you also know that cinnamon has a bunch of health benefits? Bonus!
3. Banana Funfetti Protein Cookies via Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
These cute little cookies also have protein in them and are gluten free. The banana and vanilla protein powder make them super sweet and chewy, almost like muffin tops.
4. Fluffy Chunky Monkey Pancakes via Apple of My Eye
This is one of those banana recipes that kind of pushes the “healthy” label, but I personally think it’s good to get a little chocolate in every day. I would eat this for breakfast because I’m totally cool with dessert-like meals to start the day, but I might categorize this as a semi-healthy dessert.
5. Crockpot Creamy Banana French Toast via Diethood
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard because this recipe is insanely decadent. I would never even think to do French toast in my slow cooker, but I seriously need to try now that I’ve seen this post.
6. Sweet Potato Banana Bites via The Lean Green Bean
This banana recipe on the other hand is uber-healthy. Sweet potatoes, bananas and eggs and nut butter. That’s all there is to this recipe. Lindsay (the recipe author) also points out that the recipe is super forgiving which always makes me happy.
7. Frozen Banana Pops Covered in Chocolate via Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
Have you ever tried frozen banana pops? They are so close in texture to an ice cream bar that you might trick yourself into thinking they aren’t healthy.
8. Vegan Cookie Dough Banana Soft Serve via Fit Foodie Finds
Speaking of frozen bananas…what about banana soft serve? You blend up frozen bananas until they are smooth and creamy and it basically tastes like soft serve ice cream (or frozen yogurt). There are so many options with this base, but this recipe looks over-the-top amazing.
9. Baked Banana Chips via Naturally Ella
I know I buy those bags of banana chips at the store (that are of course coated in sugar), so I was super excited to see a recipe for homemade banana chips.
10. Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins via The Healthy Maven
I am all about anything that has a crumb topping and is semi-healthy. Davida (the author) uses both coconut oil and sugar if you’re into that sort of thing. The photos are also super pretty and I want that ribbon..to decorate something.
11. Banana Bread Cookies with Almond-Butter Cocoa Filling via Pure Wow
You probably wouldn’t believe that these are actually healthy! The ingredient list is outstanding and I want to take a bite out of my screen, so this banana recipe is definitely a win.
12. Grilled S’mores Banana Boats via Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
Why not stuff a bunch of s’mores goodness into a banana and throw it on the grill? The use of foil will make this recipe a super quick clean up. (Who likes doing dishes?)
13. Pumpkin Pie Latte Protein Shake via Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
It might be a little late for pumpkin ish, but in case you have some cans leftover in your cupboard (like me)…
14. Semi-Healthy Banana Oat Muffins via Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
Bonus recipe: Berry Banana Protein Smoothie Cup
Have you heard of smoothie bowls? What about a smoothie cup?
I just realized that sounds like a regular smoothie, but really it’s like a mini smoothie that’s a little thicker so you can eat it with a spoon. This berry banana protein smoothie cup seriously hit the spot for my sweet tooth and didn’t cause me to get a sugar rush because of the protein. It’s like a little cup filled with berry soft serve. And topped with mini chocolate chips and almonds…I die.
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 2-3 TBS almond milk (I used Blue Diamond)
- Blend together all ingredients in a small food processor (or blender) until smooth. Add additional milk if needed.
- Top with desired toppings such as granola, chocolate chips, almonds, etc.
- Eat with a spoon. 🙂
- Disclaimer: I was given free product from Blue Diamond, but was not compensated in any other way for this post. All opinions are of course my own.
This round up of semi-healthy banana recipes will definitely make you happier and healthier. Which recipe will you try first?