Hey friends! I want to start sharing some quick, semi-healthy meals with you guys with the first one being a tasty, flavorful BLT Wrap with Red Pepper Hummus. This tasty wrap swirls together zesty flavors of the red pepper hummus, savory bacon and fresh veggies for the perfectly semi-healthy quick entree. Yes please!
BLT. Bacon. Lettuce. Tomato.
Would you believe it if I told you that I had never had a BLT before making this wrap? Well, it’s the truth. I used to hate tomatoes. And I wasn’t a huge fan of bacon. I know…un-American, right??
I didn’t used to like tomatoes because the only ones I had experience with were likely out of season—flavorless, pale and kind of gross. One day someone suggested I try some fresh-from-the garden tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and all of a sudden I was hooked.
I recently learned that the reason I never cared for bacon was that my mom doesn’t like it, so we never had it growing up. Now of course after having it in all kinds of crazy things..I’m hooked on the salty deliciocity that is bacon.
After picking up some delicious applewood bacon at Trader Joe’s (um..all of these ingredients might be from Trader Joe’s. I swear this isn’t a sponsored post!), I decided it was time to try a BLT. In the form of a wrap. Because I wasn’t sure if you guys would care about a plain old BLT.
BLT Wrap with Red Pepper Hummus (for 1)
I also decided to add the red pepper hummus for a little flair. Have you guys ever tried this stuff? So. good!
I made a chipotle hummus awhile back and while that was simply mouth-watering, I didn’t have the time (or space) to make my own hummus this time. I was busy packing up and getting ready for my big girl’s weekend trip, plus of course I decided to go for a run that day. I decided to stick with something fairly simple.
[ You should also try this wrap with my fire roasted tomato + bacon hummus!! ]
This tasty wrap swirls together zesty flavors of the red pepper hummus, savory bacon and fresh veggies for the perfectly semi-healthy quick entree.
2 strips of applewood bacon
4-5 cherry tomatoes, quartered (or about 1/3th of a tomato, diced)
handful of chopped romaine
1-2 TBS red pepper hummus
small whole wheat wrap
Sides such as a banana, chips or a side salad (use up some more of that romaine and tomato!).
1. Bake or fry up 2 strips of bacon. (I think I will do a little tutorial on how I bake my bacon..any interest?)
2. Slather some red pepper hummus over a tortilla.
3. Add your lettuce + tomato.
4. Chop up the bacon, toss on top and then roll it all up!
I whipped up a couple of these wraps, one for lunch and one for the road on the way to the girl’s weekend. The one for the road stayed perfectly well for 8-10 hours (in the fridge and then a cooler), so I’m sure you could prep a wrap the night before for lunch!
- 2 strips of applewood bacon
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered (or about 1/3th of a tomato, diced)
- handful of chopped romaine
- 1.5 TBS red pepper hummus
- 1/2 whole wheat wrap*
- Bake or fry up 2 strips of bacon. (I think I will do a little tutorial on how I bake my bacon..any interest?)
- Slather some red pepper hummus over a tortilla.
- Add your lettuce + tomato.
- Chop up the bacon, toss on top and then roll it all up!
- *I used a small whole wheat wrap, but the calorie counter for this recipe plugin shows info for the large ones
I’m happy I had some fuel to take along with me for the trip. Can I go back?
Now I’m off to bed! That 4am alarm is going to be going off sooner than I’d like. See you later this week for a fitness post!
What’s your favorite thing to put bacon in?
Were you a picky eater as a kid? Have you moved past it as an adult?
PS I would LOVE IT if you could pin one (or two!) of these images! AND check out my Pinterest addiction!