I just got home from the craziest day (update: TWO days) at work in a long time.
I work at a small cafe, so we only have 2 or 3 people working at a time and 1 of the 2 didn’t show up to open with me this morning. Aside from that there was already a list a mile long of kitchen prep to be done and everything in our “grab and go” cooler (snacks like egg salad, yogurt parfaits, to go salads, etc) was empty and needed to be stocked. On top of that we got a crazy rush of people mid-morning (because random rushes is just what happens at the cafe) at the same time two food deliveries were being made.
I love my cafe job, but that doesn’t mean I don’t run around like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes.
I think the ability to laugh at yourself /your situation can make or break you. Since I don’t want to break, I try to laugh at myself. I definitely found a lot of things to laugh at the past few days. Hopefully you will get a few laughs too!
21 Bacon Confessions: It’s Good to Laugh at Yourself
1. Sometimes I seriously consider not showering before work even if I haven’t showered at all the day before. I mean I’m going to end up smelling like tomatoes and asian tuna, so why not?
2. I park at the top of my parking ramp so I can walk some stairs at work. Partly for my fitbit goal of 10 flights per day. Recently I noticed that the spot I was parking in housed many pigeons and my car was getting pooed on.
3. I get way too excited when I make food at the cafe. I even snapchat or Instagram my creations. Last week it was asian tuna.
4. I stayed late at work Monday so I could finish making two dressings so that I felt somewhat accomplished for the day. It was that serious. It may also have been after a comment from the assistant manager, “so…did you get anything done on the list today?” Gah. I felt like I hadn’t stopped moving for a second for 7 hours and wanted to cry when I heard that, but instead laughed it off and tackled the next two items for the next hour or two.
5. Tuesday I knocked over an entire smoothie container full of mocha powder, protein powder, milk and espresso shots. I think I stared at it a full minute before sulking back over to the espresso machine to re-do the shots.
6. I was so frazzled I messed up the next lady’s order. (Rather I forgot to double the smoothie so she had to wait an extra 45 seconds). She looked super peeved, but when I told her I was having a rough morning, she thankfully relaxed and let me do my thing.
7. I’m always so hesitant to be honest with customers about any negative feelings (because of the whole “put on a happy face” thing in the customer service industry), but for the most part, they totally understand when things go wrong. It’s like in speech class when we were told that sometimes it helps to admit you are nervous and not try to pretend you aren’t. This give the audience a chance to feel a bit of empathy and you a chance to relax because they aren’t expecting perfection. (yay community college speech class!)
8. The clean up involved scooping coffee soaked icecubes out of the icebin for ten minutes (in between customers of course). I also randomly found bits of coffee splatter throughout the morning.
9. I made sure to snapchat the smoothie mess before I cleaned up. It really does help to make fun of yourself and laugh at the situation.
10. I got off work Monday and sat in my car for a full 30 minutes just checking social media and nearly swallowing my Luna bar whole. I was hangry.
11. I often drive home with sunglasses over my regular glasses. I mean who wants to pay for prescription sunglasses?
12. I giggle when I accidentally walk into a store like that. Trust me..I look super
13. I am often ready to go to sleep at 5pm on days I open the cafe (opening=5:30am=alarm set for 4am with a 30 minute drive time and cushion for snooze time).
14. Saturday morning I was in a panic. Dave had gotten called into work at 3am and he was supposed to run the Bacon Chase with me and my friends but I could not get a hold of him. In the midst of this, I was getting my things together and realized I couldn’t find my credit card. I had gone for a walk and to lunch with Calee the day before and remembered sticking my card in my armband. I looked everywhere. I hurriedly cancelled my card online. I found the card the next night on the floor.
15. Calee’s dog is super adorable and made me want a little dog for myself. I’m not even a dog person. He also has something called a “thunder shirt” which is like a shirt that hugs him. Why don’t they make these for humans??
16. The Bacon Chase wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be.
In fact, I feel like a lot of those runs are anti-climactic. There aren’t many spectators cheering you on. They tend to be unorganized and crowded to the point that I almost didn’t find my friends there. Then when we finished, they were out of bacon strips…all they had were the bacon bits they were handing out during the race.
17. I arrived at the Bacon Chase later than planned and Alex said she knew I would be late. I wanted to die for a minute (is this how I want to be known?? late girl??), but had to laugh it off. All I can do is try to get better!
18. The highlight of the race for me was eating lunch afterwards at Sandcastle. I had just happened to notice on Twitter that The Sandcastle had reopened for the summer the day before. Seriously, if you ever go there, order the fish tacos. I remembered them tasting delicious and refreshing last year and at my recommendation, the whole group ordered them. Yep. Good choice. Everyone agreed.
19. Sunday night Dave and I were so tired we left pizza boxes on the floor by the door from the night before (the end of this sentence makes me feel like Dr. Seuss). They are still in our apartment, but I have broken them down and put them in the bag I keep all of the cardboard in until I gain the motivation for a trip to the recycling bin. The pizza was from Pizza Luce and it was amazing. If you are in the twin cities area…get thee to Pizza Luce and order the Margherita. (bonus: they do gluten free crust upon request!)
20. I brought/carried a bag at the Bacon Chase since I knew we weren’t going to be actually “running” very much at the Bacon Chase. This was super annoying when we did end up running, but handy for stowing extra bacon bits. The bacon bits were put to good use via a delicious and semi-healthy muffin!
21. I would share the recipe with you, but I still need to take some pictures of the finished products. You see I had planned on doing that for the past two days but all of the above happened. 😉
I hid a few of them from Dave so I could take pictures. This is a common theme around these here parts.
You have all been so patient in reading this post (which was not all about bacon–I’m sorry if this made you sad) and waiting on me to pick a winner for the Balance Shape Up Giveaway and I just wanted you all to know I appreciate it. I know sometimes I take awhile with these announcements, but I promise the winners are always e-mailed (and usually tweeted) and they always get their goodies! 🙂
Do you do “fun runs”? Why or why not?
Share a funny story so I can now laugh at YOU! 😉
PS I’m all about Pinterest this year, so I would LOVE IT if you could pin one (or two!) of these images. <–Use this handy dandy button to display the whole list of pins (if you’re on a mobile device, this “pin it” one works best!). If there is a link below the image, make sure to use that link to pin as it links to the source.
Pin with me!
Receive new post, tips + tricks, inspiration + exclusive content right to your inbox!
Linking up to:
Fitness Friday with Jill at Fitness, Health and Happiness