After weeks (and weeks) of thinking about making homemade applesauce, I finally did. It was sometime after I wrote about how Apples Wake You Better Than Coffee and my friend Calee was suggesting different apple breakfasts. I also remember talking to my friend Katie about how she makes applesauce. Somehow through those weeks of the idea of homemade applesauce marinating (pun not intended..muahaha) I came up with Warm Spiced [Crockpot] Homemade Applesauce.
As with every kitchen encounter, I learned many things. (That’s a good thing, right?)
Things about my lack of kitchen supplies: I could really use an apple corer and peeler.
Things about myself: I am awful at peeling apples with a knife.
Things about my kitchen supplies again: when I use a sharper knife, it works slightly better.
Things about my blender: the ninja ultima blender will whip up apples so crazy good it will taste more like apple butter.
I am also now remembering that I have never done a full review of the ninja blender I received after attending the Healthy Living Summit. Does that make me a terrible blogger?
Here, I will do a review of the Ninja Ultima Blender now: it is good.
- It is damn good.
- It will blend things so good you didn’t know they could be blended so good.
- Not only does it have powerful blades in the standard location on the bottom, it also has other blades higher up that slice through all of the food. You know, so that you don’t have to stop it every few seconds to shake up all of the contents. It does all of that for you.
- There hasn’t been a single thing I haven’t been able to blend up in my Ninja Ultima. Including ice and frozen berries with very (very) little liquid.
- It also assisted me in creating my Secret Green Smoothie, the Green Monster and all of my other post-workout refueling drinks. It came with a handy-dandy single portion blender attachment that also blends really well and doubles as a glass to drink out of…bonus!!
- The ninja blender had a big part in creating this mouthwatering homemade applesauce.
Thanks Ninja for the blender!!!!!
Warm Spiced Crockpot (or slow cooker) Homemade Applesauce
- 6 medium apples
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Core and peel (or peel partly if you get tired of peeling...) and chop up apples.
- Throw all ingredients into the crockpot (or slow cooker) for 2 hours on high.
- Mash with a potato masher. If you desire a smoother consistency, pulse in blender or food processor.
- If you blend too long, the applesauce will get too much air in it and be more of a beverage consistency. It will still be delicious, so don't worry too much. I still ate it as is and Dave + his dad ate it on top of pancakes.
Whatever time of the year you make this, prepare for your home to smell absolutely amazing. The warm cinnamon and spices melt together with the crisp taste of Honeycrisp apples and a punch of ACV rounds out the sweet molasses in the brown sugar. Ah-ma-zing. Your home will smell like fall and you will want to do a happy dance.
Have a lovely weekend folks! I hope to be back Monday with a fitbit review for you!!
How often do you use your crockpot (or slow cooker)?
How often do you actually call your crockpot a “slow cooker,” your Kleenex a “tissue” or your Q-tips a “cotton swab?”
Linking up to:
Share Your Stuff Tuesdays with Erin at Table for Seven
Treat Yourself Tuesday with Becky at Olives n Wine
Tasty Tuesdays with Anyonita Nibbles
Link Love with Amanda at Running with Spoons
Show and Share Wednesday with Kelly at Mostly Homemade Mom
PS I’m all about Pinterest this year, so I would LOVE IT if you could pin one (or two!) of these images. Just hover over the image to reveal the “pin it” button or use the handy dandy buttons at the bottom and top of each page (I know, right?). Also follow me so I can check out YOUR Pinterest account!