Since I was out of town this weekend getting my booty kicked at Blend Retreat, I had a mostly empty fridge when I got back. Or the items in the fridge were going bad quickly and needed to be put to use.
No need to waste produce!
The spinach was getting a little old (and slightly slimy) but I figured that on heated nachos they would wilt anyways.
I don't recommend eating straight out of the container, but I was a little off on Monday. Sleepy and sore from Blend Retreat!
Clean Out Yo Fridge Nachos
- Chips (I used whole wheat scoops)
- Protein (I used chicken tenders)
- Veggies that are going bad (I used spinach and sweet tomatoes)
- Cheese (I used mozzarella)
- Cover the bottom of a plate with chips. Scoops facing up if that's what you're using.
- Add chopped protein to each chip if possible.
- Shred spinach and sprinkle over chips and protein. Use more than you think since it will wilt down a little. Plus it's good for you! Lots of vitamins. Add chopped veggies.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
- Microwave 30-40 seconds or until cheese is melted over the top.
Salsa-Ranch: Salsa+Light Ranch in a separate container. Spoon over individual chips or the entire plate when finished heating.
Semi-healthy note: Remember that ranch has little nutritional value and tends to be very caloric, so use sparingly or use light versions. (It does, however, taste great mixed with salsa and is totally worth using it in my opinion.)
A very satisfying meal that I actually had to split into two smaller meals (could have also had something to do with the cottage cheese I downed.)
I pretty much spent the entire day yesterday chillin at my laptop sorting out my Blend pictures and checking the twitter hashtag #blend2012...until I had to work that is. (Man the real world kinda stinks!)
If you follow me on twitter, you probably saw a lot of tweets with that hashtag but it was a nice way of communicating with people who's number I didn't have for meeting up purposes in Boulder, CO. And I tweeted a lot because I was just stinkin excited!!
I will be working on a more reflective Blend recap today while the twins I babysit nap. (Gah I can't wait to have kids! They are so precious!! Also don't worry, they are napping now so I'm not neglecting them to talk to you guys.)
Have a great day everyone! I also want to thank everyone for the supportive comments on my "Uncomfortable" post! I love you guys and appreciate you all so much! <3 <3
*~Amanda aka Semi-Health Nut~*
What do you do with produce that's going bad?
Do you have any tips on keeping produce fresh longer?